Wednesday 3 September 2014

Living life


The Kariega River Mouth on the Sunshine Coast in South Africa's Eastern Cape Province
Kariega River Mouth panorama. Part of the physical space where I currently live life (own 'sphere' photograph).

Life is short. Life happens. Work to live, don't live to work. Love life.

The list of simple statements about life, living and work is endless. As a teenager I thought I'd have life figured out when I hit forty. As it turns out I don't - at the time of writing this I'm forty four.

Yes, it's true - life is a journey. It features ups and downs, good fortune, near-disasters and actual disasters.

I don't believe there's a simple recipe for life. There are hundreds of puzzle pieces strewn all over the place and as we journey through our lives we turn over more and more of them along the way. Certain patterns emerge and we grow and mature in our understanding of the challenges and opportunities that face us. But I am sceptical of an easy one-size-fits-all blueprint to living.

Yet, life is there to be lived. Surely at the very least one should give it a go, regardless of the cards you've been dealt?

Like many others I think about life continuously. I endeavour to discover 'truths' and insights along the way and to integrate those into my life. Yet, I'm often more comfortable with questions than simple answers.

So today I've decided to start jotting down insights, thoughts, ideas, questions, impressions and lessons learned as I go along. I'll be doing that in this virtual space I've claimed for myself.

Thus, I officially welcome you to: Life - Living - Work. Join me on my journey of discovering life - warts and all. Thanks for your company, even if you may only join me sporadically.

I further invite you to contribute your own reflections. I ask only that it be done with respect to everyone else who may wander in here from time to time. Be frank and open, but respectful of differing opinions.

Let the journey begin.


No comments:

Post a Comment